welcome

Have you ever gone walking through a forest and felt as though you saw a glimmer of something strange? Driving down the road and could have sworn that section of road should have lasted a few more seconds? Welcome to Twin Brooks, Washington. You won't find us on any map, nor can you just stumble across us whilst on a hike. To get here, you need magic. Now, don't get me wrong, quite a few of our little ol' town are “Normies,” but the rest-- myself included, mind you-- are anything but normal. But don't let that trouble you folk, alright?

Updates
  • May. 5 Please remember to join the discord it will be our main chat in the upcoming year and dropping premium Cbox.
  • May. 5 Time and Space threads will be closing the 25th of this month please try and finish threads in them before this time.
  • May. 5 Weather Widget has been added for some fun dynamics for the site, for anyone who wanted to know what the weather is like in TB. Widget did cause the screen to stretch a bit so we decided to stretch the updates this may change later.

Twin Brooks Weekly Forecast
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Have Gun, Will Fire ( Vaughn )
 Posted on: Apr 1 2018, 10:26 PM
Jocelyn Winthrop \\
Normie
S:3
L:3
G: 3
Normie
Unemployed
Fiesty
Awards: 1

Drinking legally was not nearly as fun. Sure, it was much easier to get booze when she needed it for a party she was crashing, but the thrill was gone, and that was just sad. Jocelyn twirled a finger through a strand of her fiery red hair, eyes scanning the bar for the figure of a man she'd heard she could find here. An annoyed sound left the young woman as she raised the beer in her other hand to her lips.

Of course. The night she came here to look for him would be the night he didn't show up.

Vaughn Simonis was a hard man to track down. Every time she went by the office that was supposed to be the headquarters of his guns-for-hire service, the bounty hunter was nowhere to be found. What bounties were there to get in this town though, seriously? Which, thinking about it that way made her quite worried that if she were to find this man and land a job at his agency she would be spending most of her time behind a desk twiddling her thumbs until something came around for her to do.

She'd tried to avoid the place, but every time she passed it while walking around town she felt drawn to the building. Jocelyn had hoped to leave the hunting part of her life behind when she moved to this town, but it still followed her. An itch in her fingers. A fear in her heart. It was all she knew. It was all she was good at. She'd tried a job as a waitress but it just hand't worked out for her. And she was low on funds and desperately needed a job before she lost the shitty apartment she'd landed and had to go back to sleeping in her shitty car again.

"Where are you?" the young woman muttered to herself as she looked over her shoulder at the entrance to the bar.

Still no sign.

"Hey, miss, you look like you could-" a masculine voice to her left began before she cut him off with a harsh laugh and a middle finger thrust up in front of his face.

"Not happening, buddy," Jocelyn snapped before taking another sip from her beer. She raised her brows challengingly up at the man who had attempted to hit on her. The man frowned, rubbed the back of his neck, and walked away to leave her alone again.

Where was Mr. Simonis?

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 2 2018, 08:41 PM
Vaughn Simonis \\
Normie
Normie
Bounty Hunter
Loyal
Awards: None

Vaughn yawned and stretched as he neared his usual drinking spot. It was getting late, but paperwork had been enough headache today to warrant a good scotch before bed. He has already gone home and put away Baron, opting to let the not-quite-a-puppy-anymore sleep in the living room tonight rather than the laundry room. He knew that he'd need the extra "alarm" in place since he was so tired. Vaughn just hoped that the couch would be clear for when he went to bed.

Walking up to the door, Vaughn reached for the handle and pulled the portal open, the tiny bell attached to it ringing to announce his entrance. Looking towards the bar, Vaughn sighed in slight irritation, as his favorite stool was taken, albeit by a cute redhead. Three from the left, putting him within arm's reach from the register while not sitting directly in front of it. This let him pay for his drink without having to stand.

Vaughn shook his head and moved to the stool just to the right, a bit closer to the register, but close enough to feel the same.

Sitting down, the gruff man pulled out his personal card and handed it to the barkeep, ordering Johnny Walker on the rocks with a lemon. His usual had just been discontinued a month prior, and Vaughn was now searching for a good replacement. He took a sip of the drink, made a grimace, and then downed it before ordering a different one the same way.

--------------------
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 3 2018, 07:43 PM
Jocelyn Winthrop \\
Normie
Normie
Unemployed
Fiesty

For what felt like the thousandth time tonight, the dinky little bell tied to the door jingled wildly as another patron entered the bar. And for about the thousandth time, Jocelyn looked up from her drink and at the door to see who was approaching.

"Fucking finally," the young woman muttered under her breath as her eyes fell on the man entering the bar. He was tall, lean, rugged- the portrait of a bounty hunter and something taken straight from the wet dreams of Jocelyn a few years ago. Not that this type of man still wasn't her type, she just felt she had more... discerning tastes now. Tastes for men who didn't remind her of her father or several brothers. Though this man was far more attractive than any of her family members. Not that her family had been ugly, just... the ginger hair that most of them sported didn't do the men in her family as many favors as it had her.

Jocelyn took another drink of her beer, draining it now as she tried to chase away the thoughts of her family and the nerves that were suddenly starting to twist up inside her.

You can do this, Jocelyn reassured herself, You're plenty experienced. He would be stupid not to give you a chance.

Though the chance her mind was after was starting to waver between wanting a job and wanting this man's head between her legs.

No!

No. She needed a job. A job was more important here. She held the image of having to live out of her car in her mind to keep from straying from the task. As miserable as it was to live out of a car in the cold, the heat was arguably worse. At least when it was cold she could burrow under a mound of several blankets. In the heat she wasn't so lucky. Even naked, the heat baked her alive inside that metal deathtrap. And she would much rather not sleep naked in her car again. That hadn't ended so well the last time. Well, at least not well for the guy who had been stupid enough to try to take her picture.

The normie caught the glint of annoyance that came across the bounty hunter's face when he looked at her. Was there something wrong? Was she sitting in his normal spot? As the man took a seat next to her, she assumed that was probably so. For him to be a regular here, it made sense that he would have a certain spot where he would prefer to sit.

His voice was deep, but pleasant to listen to. Gruff, but not like sandpaper to the ears. She smiled to herself, tucking a strand of her fiery hair behind her ear as she turned to the man. She took a deep breath, steeling herself, before offering a hand out to the man. "Mr. Simonis? My name is Jocelyn Winthrop. It is a pleasure to finally meet you."

Oh god. That came out too eager. She probably sounded like some sort of fan girl. But who the hell fangirled over bounty hunters?

She did. She totally did....

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 4 2018, 11:18 AM
Vaughn Simonis \\
Normie
Normie
Bounty Hunter
Loyal

As the second drink hit the table, Vaughn already had his hand placed around the glass, about to pick it up. The chilled liquid felt nice against the skin, and condensation ran down the side of the crystal-clear container. As the cup picked up off the table, a voice cut through the normal murmur of the crowd. It was a woman's voice, coming directly from Vaughn's left. He let the cup make a solid tink as he lowered it back to the table and turned to face the woman next to him.

He couldn't help but chuckle as she addressed him. "Mister Simonis? I'm not that old, am I?" He turned to behind the counter where the bar kept a mirror behind all the alcohol and acted like he was searching for grey hairs. Giving another laugh, he turned back to the woman and held out his right hand.

"Please. Call me Vaughn." He quickly eyed her up and down. "And you are?"

--------------------
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 5 2018, 11:02 PM
Jocelyn Winthrop \\
Normie
Normie
Unemployed
Fiesty

Jocelyn just smiled pleasantly at the man as he shot back the typical,"I'm not that old" drivel at being called "mister." Man, were all men that sensitive about their age? She would humor him and not make her normal sarcastic comments. He seemed like maybe he was having a bad day. And she didn't exactly want to start off on a bad foot with the man that she hoped would give her a job. "Oh, not at all. Just how I was raised to talk to people."

The normie reached out and shook the older man's outstretched hand. She kept the smile on her face as she had to introduce herself again. The other had been to engrossed in his drinking to probably hear what she had said. "Jocelyn Winthrop. A pleasure to meet you, sir."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 7 2018, 12:58 AM
Vaughn Simonis \\
Normie
Normie
Bounty Hunter
Loyal

Vaughn nodded at the comment about being raised to speak a certain way.

"I can respect that. Nothing wrong with some manners, deserved or not." He gave a small chuckle. She introduced herself and he nodded. "Well, nice to met you, Jocelyn."

He turned back to the bar and leaned on it with both elbows, hands folded. Sitting for a moment, Vaughn wiped his face and then stretched, arms moving in wide arcs backwards, with hands still clasped. As the bounty hunter let the stretch go, he turned back towards the other, a much more serious expression on his face.

"Now the question is," He said, moving to a lower tone, "How do you know me by name? No one ever has the pleasure of meeting me."

Vaughn's fingers slowly tapped along his own set of knuckles, making small arcs and showing an itch of both impatience and a feeling of uneasiness. He didn't know this girl, and he certainly wasn't famous. What could she even want with him?

--------------------
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 7 2018, 12:51 PM
Jocelyn Winthrop \\
Normie
Normie
Unemployed
Fiesty

Paranoid much? It wasn’t hard to see the uneasiness that suddenly came over the man. He was a fidgety person when nervous. Jocelyn smirked, her brows raising in amusement. A nervous bounty hunter was an interesting sight to see. Every one she had ever met were stoic walls disguised as people. Bordering, if not fully, sociopathic. Many members of her family included.

“Well, you have a store front guns-for-hire agency and your name is in the phone book. Who knew they still made those? So…” She shrugged. “Wasn’t exactly hard to go from there. It’s easy to find out who people are and what they look like when you know where to look for it. And that place is called the internet.” She winked at the older man, the smirk still quirking up her vibrantly red painted lips.

She leaned on the counter, angling herself forward so that she closed the gap more between herself and the bounty hunter. "The real question is, Mr. Simonis, if you don't want to be found and known so easily, why make it so simple?"

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 8 2018, 01:13 AM
Vaughn Simonis \\
Normie
Normie
Bounty Hunter
Loyal

Vaughn shook his head.

"I know about the phone book and the online registry. The problem is, you were extremely excited to see me. Eager enough to be at the bar I frequent and to give that sigh of relief as I walked in." He looked her up and down once more.

"A bit overconfident in your approach and sustainability. From what I can tell, you're wanting something specific. So spill the beans, kid. You wanting an autograph? Some sort of fan?"

Vaughn took another sip of his drink and let the glass make a slight clink as the ice tumbled around in the free air once more. This didn't phase Vaughn, however, as he paid it no mind, opting instead to maintain eye contact the whole time.

God, he hoped she wasn't some sort of psycopathic murderer.

--------------------
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 8 2018, 12:50 PM
Jocelyn Winthrop \\
Normie
Normie
Unemployed
Fiesty

Jocelyn smirked at the older man as he analyzed her behavior. He'd noticed more of what she had done than she'd thought he had. She was beginning to see why others said he was so good at his job. This man knew what he was doing. Good. She definitely wouldn't want to work for some incompetent jockstrap who was only a bounty hunter because they thought it was super macho and cool. She'd met far too many like that in her relatively short lifetime...

"Right to the point, aren't we..." the girl mused as she leaned on the bar. "You can keep your pen capped, sir. I don't want your autograph." Jocelyn reached up and pushed a strand of her hair from her face. She maintained eye contact with the older man as he all but glared at her. "I want a job."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 9 2018, 12:06 PM
Vaughn Simonis \\
Normie
Normie
Bounty Hunter
Loyal

Vaughn stared for a moment at the reality of what this scrawny girl had asked, before letting out a hearty laugh.He chuckled snickered for a solid two minutes before regaining his composure.

"Sorry. Sorry." He shook his head. "Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? You look like you weigh nothing at all, you wait for me in a bar while drinking cowboy piss--" Vaughn motioned to the empty beer bottle's label-- "And then you ask for a job doing what could be considered this town's most dangerous profession.

He tilted his head slightly. "What makes you think I'd want you on my team?"

Vaughn was never one to let stereotypes sway his opinion, but he's had to fight a were-grizzly, for crying out loud. He'd need more convincing than I want a job from this one.

"I will admit. You have a good eye, but wouldn't you rather be a detective with that kind of skill? I've literally had to fight for my life on my off day."

--------------------
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 9 2018, 08:41 PM
Jocelyn Winthrop \\
Normie
Normie
Unemployed
Fiesty

When she was younger, Jocelyn kept a list of things she hated in her pocket. It was a habit she had long out-grown, though she remembered quite clearly what had been on that list. At the top of it was people laughing at her. Her chest tightened and a burning feeling bubbled in her stomach as the bounty hunter all but laughed in her face. Jocelyn's eyes narrowed as she leaned away from the older man. Her fingers tapped rhythmically but impatiently on the counter. "You done?" she finally interjected as the man's laughter subsided.

The laughter had stopped, but the mocking had not. The corner of her eyes twitched but she maintained a collected composure. She glanced at the bottle on the counter next to her as the man indicated it. Normally, she had better taste, but as she was scraping the bottom of her pockets enough as it is right now, this was all she could afford to get so she could sit here and not be a nuisance to the bartender. But she wasn't about to dredge up her dismal financial situation to him. That would just make her look even more pathetic in his eyes.

"You let looks deceive you pretty damn easily, sir," she said sir with a more mocking edge now. "Is it because I'm a girl? Because that's pretty fucking sexist if it is," she snapped. That was always it, though. She didn't look like much, that she knew. At least not as far as a being a bounty hunter was concerned. She bit her lip to fight back the retort she wanted to spit out at him. She wanted to enunciate her last name for this man again. Say it until it sunk through his dense, alcoholic brain. People in his field knew her family, if not personally than by their sheer infamy. The Winthropes weren't bounty hunters. They weren't respectable. They were hunters. They were ruthless killers. And despite her delicate appearance, she was up there with the worst of them. Emphasis on the word "was." She was a bit out of practice, but a bit of training would fix that pretty easily.

The fiery haired girl took a deep breath, calming her emotions and her thoughts before looking levelly back at who she hoped to be her future employer. "Just give me a shot. Test me."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 12 2018, 03:13 PM
Vaughn Simonis \\
Normie
Normie
Bounty Hunter
Loyal

Vaughn held up a hand in an attempt to get her to stop being angry.

"It's nothing like that. You aren't built like you can lift a good amount. Girl or not, unless you're a vampire or something close, it's much harder to do this." In fact, Vaughn wasn't quite up to par anymore. This small town had grown much more peaceful in the past few years, giving Vaughn more paperwork than physical work. God, he needed to get back to the gym.

Even before that, Vaughn had a hard time calling himself fit for the job. Even with three black belts and a few other minor amounts of training, he still had plenty of a hard time when it came to hunting anything but normies.

Vaughn's eyebrow raised at the other's final statements.

"A test, huh?" Vaughn thought for a moment, trying to think of something to have her do. After a few seconds, he nodded to himself. "Alright. I'll test you. And to be honest, I'll give you a job either way." Vaughn leaned back a little and stretched before continuing. "If you pass two out of three tests, you can have a position as one of the hunters on my team. You'll have the same jurisdiction as any cop, have to do just as much paperwork, and be able to set your own schedule-- for the paperwork, that is. As a hunter, you're always on call.

"But if you fail two out of the three, you start as my secretary. You do all my paperwork, watch the office, take care of Baron, and work eight to five on weekdays, and on call on weekends. Deal?"

Vaughn held out his hand, to see if she would take the offer.

--------------------
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 18 2018, 06:31 PM
Jocelyn Winthrop \\
Normie
Normie
Unemployed
Fiesty

"No. I'm human." Jocelyn's scowl slackened a bit as the bounty hunter held up a consoling hand toward her. Okay, so maybe she had over reacted a bit... Well, more than a bit. She sighed and rubbed the back of her neck before looking back up at him. Her angry expression feel more into a neutral one as she tried to reign back in her annoyance. "I'm fast. I'm a good shot. Not the strongest, you're right. But I can make up for it." Her eyes held a determined fire. "I've done shit like this my whole life. I know how to handle myself."

Jocelyn wasn't sure if she wanted to grin or scowl again as Vaughn agreed to her idea of testing her skills. One the one hand, she was more than glad that he was giving her a shot to prove herself. On the other, she also wasn't too fond of landing a job as his secretary... But she would honestly prefer to be a secretary to a bounty hunter than for some other stuffy job. And hey, a secretary job would be better than no job, after all.

She smirked at the older man as she lifted her hand and took his in a firm grip. "You've got a deal."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 27 2018, 09:59 PM
Vaughn Simonis \\
Normie
Normie
Bounty Hunter
Loyal

Vaughn shook Jocelyn's hand firmly, signifying the sealing of their agreement. The only problem with this whole situation was a combination of two things: first, he already had it in his mind that unless she was outright horrible, she would get the job, and second, he now had to come up with tests on the fly. Internally, Vaughn grimaced, knowing that this was the most difficult part of this entire encounter.

Sitting back, the scraggly man took the final sip of his drink before sliding it in a position to get a fast refill. He sighed and rubbed his face, starting to feel the exhaustion of the day even more now that he was fully relaxing. Searching his mind for a quick test, Vaughn looked around the room to take in his surroundings.

A pair of Satyrs sat at the back of the room talking in hushed tones. Either performing some sort of shady deal, or just getting ready to go back home, no doubt. They weren't the most common creatures to see in Twin Brooks, but they weren't the wildest. Many of the people in the bar looked like Normies, but Vaughn knew that they were more than likely more than meets the eye. He spotted out of the crowd a small-ish figure wearing what looked to be a sweater and reading several books while writing. Probably a college student. He noticed one thing, however, that guaranteed her special qualities.

The girl had a special crux on her necklace that she would touch every once in a while when she seemed to slow down, and would then proceed to suddenly write very quickly and with renewed energy. Probably some sort of recharging magic. From her look, she didn't seem the witch-y type, but looks could be deceiving. Another viable option was that she got it from a seller of some sort or that someone close to her gave it to her to help her study. Either way, she was all-too perfect.

Vaughn finished scanning the room, ensuring that he spent as much time at each section looking over the room to avoid giving anything away before turning back to the aspiring hunter.

"Alright. I've got your first test.I need to see how well your eye can pick someone out of a crowd. There are several people using magic in here, but one stands out in particular to me. Where are they, and why do they stand out?"

--------------------
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 28 2018, 06:35 PM
Jocelyn Winthrop \\
Normie
Normie
Unemployed
Fiesty

Jocelyn smiled happily at the man as he shook her hand. Nice! She was getting a chance. That's all she needed. She was going to blow this man's mind. She wondered what she was going to have to do to show her skill. Shoot targets? That would be more than a piece of cake. A practice hunt? Got it. Would she have to fight him? That one would be more difficult since he was larger than her and undoubtedly stronger, but she fought people larger than him. She hadn't come out the other side in good shape, but she'd fought them nonetheless.

The aspiring bounty hunter's smile faltered when she heard the first test presented to her. Observation? That wasn't always her strong suit. She wasn't the information gathering sort. She was a woman of action, not reflection. "You want me to pick out a specific magic user?" The redhead almost snarled scowling at Vaughn.

That was going to be much more easily said than done. They were in a magic city for God's sake! There were a whole plethora of magic users in this bar. Odds were, that most of them were. There weren't a large number of non-magical humans in this town, so she and Vaughn were definitely the minority here. And she didn't know this guy's taste. He'd probably looked over the crowd, picked out someone he thought was attractive and decided on that one. This wasn't going to be easy.

But this wasn't going to be an easy job, and damn it, she really wanted this job.

Jocelyn bit her bottom lip as she focused on the people crowding the tables and along the bar where she and Vaughn were sitting. She immediately picked out several people. A pyromancer spotted through the glass of the back door, using his ability to light a cigarette out on the patio. An arc girl sitting alone at a table clutching a clearly enchanted crystal necklace while studying. What kind of person tried to study at a bar? Jocelyn shook her head, trying refocus herself on the task at hand. One of the bartenders was brewing together something that was definitely not just an alcoholic beverage behind the bar for a tired looking nephilim leaning heavily on the bar.

There were so many. But it had to be one that wasn't so obvious. Right? Was he just trying to see how observant she was by seeing how much of an obscure magic user she could pick out and didn't really have someone picked out?

Finally, the normie's eyes focused on a woman sitting at a table in the back corner of the bar. She had a makeup compact mirror sitting out on the table in front of her and looking down into it, but with as dark as it was in this bar, there was no way she was actually doing her makeup. She was scrying.

"Her," Jocelyn said, nodding to the woman. "She's scrying but playing it off by looking like she's doing her makeup."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 29 2018, 08:08 PM
Vaughn Simonis \\
Normie
Normie
Bounty Hunter
Loyal

Vaughn shook his head.

"No, but nice try." The bounty hunter motioned to the back of the room, where the girl studying was sitting. "Her, the one wearing the TBCC sweater. She's attempting to study in a bar, which is weird by itself, but she's clutching a charm of sorts. Obviously something to keep her energized enough to study. More than likely, the charm works by feeding off of those around her, taking only a slight amount of the stamina of the people nearby, but giving her plenty due to the buildup. Questionably, that charm may not be hers, as she doesn't quite seem the type to perform that magic, but that aspect isn't as important."

He nodded to where Jocelyn had pointed out the other magic user.

"I do like what you picked out, however. I hadn't even noticed her. When I picked out the college girl, I thought that looks could be deceiving when I noticed the fact that the charm may not be her doing. So noticing someone scrying cleverly like that is quite impressive." Vaughn looked over the woman and make a quick scan around the bar. "Likely, she's watching that guy over there, don't you think?"

Vaughn motioned at a man sitting with a group of people and wearing a button-down shirt. The man seemed to be flirting with a few of the girls near him, and the woman who was scrying seemed to be scowling as well. "Seems like he may be getting caught red-handed."

--------------------
PM
^
 Posted on: Apr 30 2018, 10:10 PM
Jocelyn Winthrop \\
Normie
Normie
Unemployed
Fiesty

Jocelyn frowned as her answer was shot down. She looked back over at the girl that had been Vaughn's target. She'd noticed her, but hadn't thought much of her. Now that the man pointed out all the things that seemed off about her, it was starting to make sense. Jocelyn was a little ashamed she didn't notice some of it.

A small bloom of pride flowered in her chest, though, as he praised the magic user she'd pointed out. Personally, she thought it had been a good pick. Subtle. Her hazel eyes narrowed slightly as she followed Vaughn's indication over to another table where a man was sitting surrounded by various women. He seemed to be having the time of his life. Jocelyn wondered how much he'd paid many of the women kissing his neck and cheeks.

The woman Jocelyn had pointed out seemed to get redder in the face with each advance made on the man, so Vaughn's observation was likely true. Though, scrying was usually done to see a more distant target. "Strange she'd be scrying so close to him, though. She could look up and see what he was doing. She may be looking farther, don't you think?"

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
 Posted on: May 2 2018, 11:48 AM
Vaughn Simonis \\
Normie
Normie
Bounty Hunter
Loyal

"Very likely," Vaughn responded. "It could simply be coincidence that this man is getting this attention and she seems flustered at the same time. You really can't rule that out." Vaughn paused, giving it a moment's thought. "She does seem to get flustered and at first may appear to be upset, but there may be more to it than that. One thing people don't tend to count on is another's ability to be a pervert."

He watched the woman again for a moment before pointing something out to Jocelyn.

"Or we could both be wrong and she's just drunk and trying to do her makeup. She's got booze all over her table. Probably spilled it and picked up the drink without actually trying to clean it up." He chuckled and shook his head before looking around the room once more.

"There," Vaughn pointed at a group of men playing darts. "One of them is cheating, and the other is just really good. Watch and we'll be able to tell which is which."

The group surrounded two men who were throwing the darts in turn. Each one would hit right around the bull's eye mark, barely faltering from a perfect hit. Whoever was doing the cheating knew how to scam someone out of their money, that was certain.

--------------------
PM
^
 Posted on: May 2 2018, 07:18 PM
Jocelyn Winthrop \\
Normie
Normie
Unemployed
Fiesty

Jocelyn looked over all the empty bottles and glasses that were on the woman's table. People usually only drank that much to forget something. She wondered what that poor lady was trying to forget. Then again, maybe it was nothing. Maybe she just liked getting trashed alone in a bar. Jocelyn definitely wasn't going to judge. She shrugged, looking back at Vaughn. "You know, that is honestly a more likely possibility." A laugh left her even though the thought of her observation being wrong made her feel a bit sick to her stomach with nerves. Not only had she not picked out the magic user he had been thinking of, but she'd likely picked out one that wasn't even using magic. Things were not looking good for her.

At the man calling attention to the group playing darts in the back of the bar, Jocelyn turned, her attention piquing. "A cheater, aye?" She watched them playing for a moment, her brows raising at seeing the skill both players had. Like Vaughn had said, though, one of them was cheating. It wasn't too hard to notice now that she was paying more attention. The man would fidget and mess with his sleeves that were rolled up past his elbows. Either he had a little charm tucked away in the folds, or he'd even gone so far as to enchant the buttons on the cuffs of his sleeves.

"That one," the ex-hunter said, nodding to who she thought was the cheater.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
 Posted on: May 5 2018, 04:36 PM
Vaughn Simonis \\
Normie
Normie
Bounty Hunter
Loyal

"Alright," Vaughn said, standing up and reaching into his pocket. "Would you like to play a game of darts?" Vaughn smiled coyly as he pulled a palm-sized charm from his pocket and showed it to the other. "Anti-Magic charm I had whipped up for my job. I can activate it to make an anti-magic zone around me to about 30 feet out."

He pointed over to the man. "If you're as good of a shot as you say you are, it should be no problem to kick this guy's ass."

Vaughn was getting into a much better mood than he had been, now that he found someone not only invested like him in his field, but who was also interested in joining him in the business. He had to keep his emotions and tells calm, though, as he didn't want to give away just how ecstatic he was becoming. As well, he hadn't even seen the girl shoot yet, and he didn't want to get his hopes up just to be fooled by some Normie with a pretty face.

--------------------
PM
^
 Posted on: May 5 2018, 11:16 PM
Jocelyn Winthrop \\
Normie
Normie
Unemployed
Fiesty

Jocelyn's eyes brightened at the bounty hunter's suggestion. "Oh, hell yeah!" Oh, this was going to be fun. Not only was she going to get to show off her skills, but she was going to get to con some assholes in the process. Conning the con man was always the best. "I am all about this," she added with a bright and eager smile. She quickly quelled her excitement, putting her expression back together in a calm and nonchalant manner. No reason to look too eager. It would be suspicious to the guy she'd be playing against, and she was honestly afraid of looking so painfully juvenile in front of Vaughn.

The normie downed the rest of her beer before hopping down from her barstool. She cracked her knuckles. "Let's do this."

She walked across the bar over to where the men were gathered playing darts. The game she and Vaughn had witnessed was now over and the poor sap that lost was giving money to the cheat of a winner. Jocelyn sidled up next to the man, running her hand up his back before settling it on his shoulder. "Mind if I play a round with you?" she asked. "You look like you're really good. It's not every day I see someone who can give me a challenge," she added with a challenging gleam in her eyes. Oh how easy it was to get men to rise to bait when they had the chance of being beaten at something by a girl. This was going to be a piece of cake.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
 Posted on: May 6 2018, 03:51 PM
Vaughn Simonis \\
Normie
Normie
Bounty Hunter
Loyal

Vaughn waited for a few moments as Jocelyn moved towards the group of dart players, activating the charm and placing it into his pants pocket. He could feel the small surge of magic waft over him, as the anti-magic spell had its own sort of weight to it. It was as if the spell created a medium that would keep aether and aetheric energy from being able to exist within it.

Once the other had secured a game, Vaughn moved to the group to watch. There was a fairly large ring of people gathering around to watch the events unfold, but he was able to push just far enough in to get his own front row seat. Jocelyn was up first, but Vaughn wasn't paying as much attention to her as he was to the other man. The man could be seen muttering into his sleeves, obviously attempting to cast a spell, but the act wasn't working. After a few tries, the man seemed to get frustrated, obviously being able to tell that his magic wasn't working. But he had taken the bet and was now stuck in this match, else he would look like he was a coward.

Vaughn smirked and turned to watch Jocelyn's first shot, ready for the ass-kicking to begin and not let him down.

--------------------
PM
^
 Posted on: May 7 2018, 01:01 PM
Jocelyn Winthrop \\
Normie
Normie
Unemployed
Fiesty

Jocelyn crossed her arms over her chest, arched brows rising in mock impatience as the man she was challenging seemed intent on rubbing his face against his sleeve. He looked angrier and angrier with each moment. Desperate even. Her eyes trailed past him over to Vaughn who was standing inconspicuously nearby. He must have already neutralized the magic. Her attention switched back to the cheating arc as a frustrated sound left him.

“Scared?” the normie asked as she tilted her head to the side. “Don’t want to get beaten by a girl?”

“‘Not scared,” the man growled as he prowled over to the dart board and yanked the darts from the board. He dropped half in her hand and took a step back with a mocking bow. “Ladies first.”

Jocelyn took the darts without hesitation. She held one between two fingers, feeling the weight of it. Pretty well balanced. The air in this corner of the room was humid and stale. The air conditioning either broken or turned off to minimize even the slightest interference. She reached up, pushing a long strand of vibrant red hair from her face as she turned her focus on the board. She could always go for the bullseye, but she wasn’t a novice. That wasn’t where the most points were to be gained. The triple twenty ring. That’s where she aimed.

A satisfying quiet “thunk” signaled the dart striking its mark. Exactly where she wanted. She glanced over her shoulder at the arc, an innocent smile on her face yet her hazel eyes gleamed with wild delight.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
 Posted on: May 16 2018, 07:12 PM
Vaughn Simonis \\
Normie
Normie
Bounty Hunter
Loyal

Vaughn smirked as Jocelyn hit for the maximum point space on the board. She really did know her stuff. Vaughn cracked his knuckles and pulled out his wallet, grabbing the emergency $50 he kept on him. It was time to make a bit of this girl's first paycheck-- and some extra cash for himself.

And this wasn't even cheating to win a bet. Vaughn smiled to himself thinking about this-- it was neutralizing a cheater to ensure a fair game. The guaranteed win was simply icing on the cake. Vaughn turned to the man next to him and held out the $50.

"50 bucks says she kicks his ass." He waved the bill in front of the man's face before placing it on a table in front of them.

"You're on. I just watched him win six times in a row." The man smiled and placed a collection of bills on the table. Vaughn quickly counted and verified that they added up to fifty, then placed an empty glass on top of them to keep the money from walking away.

Easy money.

--------------------
PM
^
 Posted on: May 23 2018, 03:31 PM
Jocelyn Winthrop \\
Normie
Normie
Unemployed
Fiesty

This was almost too easy. The next few darts Jocelyn threw landed squarely within the small space where the first hit. One she threw was slightly off, hitting a bit too low, but one out of the handfull she had wasn’t bad. It was also hard to keep hitting that space when there were so many other darts crammed into it. Though, that was what she was keen on telling herself to make herself feel better for missing that one.

Jocelyn’s lips quirked up into a smirk as she heard Vaughn starting up his bets with a few of the other patrons. They were going to be leaving the bar with their pockets much lighter than they were when they came in. As the last dart left her hand, she turned to face her opponent. The man’s face was reddening a bit but his expression was stony and determined. The only tell that there was something wrong was the faint bulging of a tensed vein in his neck. She knew he was feeling it not. The lack of magic on him. The absence of his charm. He was getting nervous.

“Your turn,” the normie hummed cheerfully as she stepped aside from her place and gestured to the dartboard.

The cheater grumbled something incoherent under his breath and stepped up to retrieve the darts while Jocelyn went to go lean against one of the tall tables. She propped an arm up on the flat surface and rested her head in her hand in a relaxed and lazy position. Her opponent had gathered the darts and was standing where she had just stood, though he had yet to throw a dart. He was fidgeting with his sleeves and looking anxiously from the darts to the board.

“You gonna go or nah?” Jocelyn asked snarkily, her finely arched brows raising in amusement.

“Oh, fuck off,” the man growled as he pulled back and tossed his first dart.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll